Buy at AllPosters.com
Today I was over reading at Miss Jocelyn's blog, Feelin' Femine & some of her posts about wearing skirts & dresses. Of course I had thought about it before~I love how women look in dresses, & I think they look much more feminine & beautiful in skirts & dresses, but I have avoided it myself for personal reasons. I actually bought some skirts a little over a year ago, but quit wearing them due to these reasons. I have read several articles on the subject, & even some saying that there was no Biblical mandate for women to wear dresses & skirts. I had also read in Created to be His Help Meet that women used to wear trousers in France, I believe, & there was no Scripture saying that women had to wear dresses. So this was my outlook~look feminine, but it's no big deal for women & girls to wear pants. Well I guess I should have looked into the Scriptures for myself, because a guest writer on Miss Jocelyn's site brought some Scriptures to my attention that I didn't even know were there. Most importantly, is
- Deuteronomy 22:5 The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.
- Isaiah 47:2 Take the millstones, and grind meal: uncover thy locks, make bare the leg, uncover the thigh, pass over the rivers.
Isaiah 47:3 Thy nakedness shall be uncovered, yea, thy shame shall be seen: I will take vengeance, and I will not meet thee as a man.
- Jeremiah 13:22 And if thou say in thine heart, Wherefore come these things upon me? For the greatness of thine iniquity are thy skirts discovered, and thy heels made bare.
More scriptures are
- Lamentations 1:9 Her filthiness is in her skirts; she remembereth not her last end; therefore she came down wonderfully: she had no comforter. O LORD, behold my affliction: for the enemy hath magnified himself.
- Nahum 3:5 Behold, I am against thee, saith the LORD of hosts; and I will discover thy skirts upon thy face, and I will shew the nations thy nakedness, and the kingdoms thy shame.
In the Scriptures, men were instructed to wear breeches. I did not know this. For complete information on the history of men's & women's clothing in the Bible, please see the links I mention at the bottom of this post.
- Exo 28:42 And thou shalt make them linen breeches to cover their nakedness; from the loins even unto the thighs they shall reach:
For further information:
Please see the article What About..."Back in the Scriptures" Clothes? for a complete look at Biblical clothing.
Also see Outside Looking In...The Gender Test
Update: It is now 3 1/2 years later, and I wear skirts all of the time. While these scriptures are important to consider, I believe we need to remember that this issue is a conviction, and not necessary for salvation. Whatever we wear should be pleasing to the Lord, and above all, should be modest. I also believe femininity is important, to distinguish ourselves from men, but please understand I do not hold it against women who do not wear dresses or skirts. I did not wear them for many years of my Christian walk, and I still loved the Lord.