Thank you so much for your sweet and fervent prayers on my behalf. I know they have worked because I have been up and about like normal today, but still a bit tired. God is so very, very good. I don't know if you understand---Saturday I could barely stand--had fever, chills, body aches, and could hardly eat (how I thought I had the flu), I felt a little better on Sunday (which was one of our daughter's birthdays), then on Monday felt just the same as Saturday, and Tuesday I also felt awful but managed to function just long enough to get to the store to get food that we needed. It didn't occur to me that a milk duct was plugged until about a day or so after I was feeling flu-ish. I have had plugged ducts before but have never had them turn into mastitis.
I did some things that I will share with you should you ever have this happen to you or know someone who does (and *ahem*, I expect my readership to be female, so if you are a male, please move along):
- I cut down on Baby's solid food so she would drink more milk
- We switched nursing positions throughout the day to find that plugged duct and help clear it
- I nursed Baby on the affected side first, and as long as she would drink
- I used a warm washcloth before and during nursing on the affected area to help with milk flow
- I massaged the affected area towards the milk flow while she was drinking
- I ate about 4 cloves of raw garlic yesterday and more today: I cut up the raw garlic into small pieces and swallowed them like pills with water. I think this form of delivering the garlic is very important. The helpful part (I can't think of what it's called right now--still tired) of garlic is destroyed in heat. Garlic is a wonderful, God-given infection fighter.
- I also rubbed Eden Salve on the affected area, which has ingredients in it that draw out infection. Yes I am a Bulk Herb store affiliate, but I really love this stuff. I think everyone should have a can on hand. It is good for bug bites, scrapes, rashes, chapped skin, and I have had it help more than one infection.
- I also drank lots of water (which wasn't hard with swallowing all of that garlic) and rested as much as possible
I am still a bit sore, but all of my other symptoms are gone, praise God! And He is good to use these down times for reflection on things, things we might not be paying too much attention to if we are too busy. One of the things that came to my mind while in this state of not being able to do the normal things is letting the children help me with more things than I currently allow them too, knowing they will not do it "just so". I can have horrible tendencies to want everything a certain way, so that I think no one else can do it for me, and I need to stop doing that. My children are also learning along the way, even if something is hard for them. They will get better with practice.
Well I must go now. I still need to get some rest. I just wanted to let you all know how I am doing, and thank you again so much for your prayers.
Much love ♥