You will need:
- A crock pot (I don't recall what size the one I use for yogurt is, but it is a smaller one--you can use bigger too)
- 8 cups of WHOLE milk, preferably organic, but it must NOT be ULTRA-pasteurized. Pasteurized is fine
- 1/2 cup of plain, whole milk (not lowfat or fat free) yogurt, preferably organic, or 1/2 cup homemade yogurt from a previous batch
- A large, heavy bath towel
Here is what you do:
- Pour the 8 cups of milk into your crock pot and replace the lid.
- Put the crock pot on low for 2 1/2 hours.
- Turn the crock pot off and let it sit with the warmed milk for 3 hours.
- After the 3 hours has passed, get out one to two cups of the warm milk from the crock pot, and mix in 1/2 cup of the plain yogurt into the milk, stirring well. (I usually ladle out 1 cup of milk right into my large measuring cup and mix the milk and the yogurt right in my measuring cup).
- Pour this mixture back into the crock pot and stir it all together.
- Replace the crock pot lid and put your heavy towel on top and around the sides of the crock pot.
- Leave it there until morning and in the morning you will have healthy homemade yogurt!
I usually start my yogurt in the late afternoon so that I am finishing the last steps a little before bedtime. Remember that homemade yogurt is not as thick as store bought yogurt, because they usually add thickening agents to store-bought yogurt. You can eat your homemade yogurt as is, or add fruit and/or raw honey for more flavor. You can use it in smoothies and many other things! Just don't add sugar because that defeats the whole purpose of eating the beneficial bacteria that is in yogurt to help your digestive system.
Today is the last day to enter My Audio School giveaway!
Enjoy your new treat.