But I did want to share a few things with you I've been looking at, simply because they are so interesting and really made me think. Well, the first isn't so shocking, just a recipe for homemade cream of mushroom soup. I've actually made my own version before because the store-bought kind is so bad because it contains the neuro-toxin MSG.
So there's a recipe that looks good, but I haven't tried it yet.
OK, now onto what got me distracted for way too long. Soaking grains. I am big on grain-soaking, at least in theory. I have to admit I don't always have time to soak our grains, but I usually feel guilty when I don't and wonder if I'm forever harming my children's health in the process. Sooo...imagine my interest when I stumbled upon some articles discussing whether soaking grains is actually necessary or not. I even found some information that states that phytic acid is actually beneficial to your body...Now what to believe? I am still not sure. I haven't come to a conclusion yet. I need to do more research when I have time *ahem*. But I do know one thing. I am glad I know the Lord who holds all of my days in His hand. Isn't that a relief?
A few other thoughts I have:
- Antibiotics have surely contributed largely to our population's health problems because they kill off the good bacteria in our guts
- It is important to keep fermented foods in our diets to keep our good bacteria highly populated in our guts
- By the way, it bothers me about all the "anti-grain" craziness going on when Jesus is called The Bread of Life and there are so many positive references to bread in God's Word. And yes, I have even been on GAPS before, but I just think we need to not say that grains are the ultimate evil in food. Not at all.
- I know I would really, really like a Nutrimill Grain Mill! Hopefully one day I'll be able to get one. Guess I need to save up those Amazon gift certificates. Or something!
- Food is not our god but can be used as one of the best form of medicine by eating as healthy of a diet that we can within the constraints of time and finances that God has given us. Prayer for wisdom from God is met with a promise from God that He will give us that wisdom.
Jesus ate bread!
- Stacy Makes Cents-Why I Don't Soak Grains
- Nutrition Diva-Should You Soak Your Grains-contains a lot of information on the "sinister" phytic acid
- Phytic Acid-Friend or Foe? My favorite article so far that explains a lot on this debate. It is an article by Christians so contains Biblical references on the very subject of bread.
- Heavenly Homemakers-My Current Thoughts About Soaking or Not Soaking Grains - just another homemaker's thoughts on the soaking grains dilemma.
Receive Blessed Homemaking in your inbox. Subscribe here.