For our first years of schooling, I used a curriculum that used unit studies for most of the instruction. I really loved the kindergarten and first grade programs. There were many fun and exciting activities to do. We really enjoyed it for those years. But there were some things in the curriculum that I did not agree with, and as the years went by, this was increasing. The curriculum was also so hands-on, that if I was not available to help my children, they simply could not do school. I am not saying that this curriculum was all wrong or couldn't work for anyone. It just wasn't working for us.
So last year I sold all of it and purchased new curriculum. The children and I have been enjoying it ever since. And I can be assured that life's interruptions will not keep us from getting school done.
Here are some plans I have for this school year:
- For Bible, I like Memoria Press's Christian Studies, and Foundations book 1
- For spelling, we will be using Rod and Staff. The Bible references throughout are a wonderful encouragement.
- For language, we will be using Abeka
- For math, we will be using Abeka
- For History, Science, and Health, we will also be using Abeka
- For Handwriting, we will be using A Reason for Handwriting
- We will be using Rod and Staff readers for reading. The children really enjoy these.
- I am using Christ Centered Curriculum for phonics.
- For writing, we will be using Understanding Writing
- As time allows, they will learn typing and Spanish
I plan to use Home Economics for Home Schoolers with our girls who are old enough. It is a delightful book from Pearables that teaches homemaking skills to young girls. There are also more books in the series that I hope to get some day.
There are more books for girls that I would like to incorporate if there is enough time, like Keepers at Home: A Handbook for Young Ladies , Polished Cornerstones and Beautiful Girlhood.
I am so thankful that I am blessed to teach our children at home. I can be with them all day helping them learn more about the Lord while they study about His world. Oh, what a blessed occupation!
Managers of Their Schools by Steve and Teri Maxwell. This book helps you with great insight in teaching your children and helps you get organized in your homeschool.
Receive Blessed Homemaking in your inbox. Subscribe here.